[ RadSafe ] Sternglass as a speaker before vet group -- was: Re: Dr. Ernest Sternglass – pioneering researcher into radioactive emissions

stewart farber farber at farbermed.com
Fri Nov 13 09:42:40 CST 2015

Sternglass died in Feb. 2015 at age of 91.  While some of his later delusional thinking and writings might be attributed to age related dementia, he began his “career” distorting radiation related issues  50 years earlier.  Interestingly, it is not commonly known that there was a period of time in the late 1960s or early 1970s where he was RSO at the Univ. Pittsburg. I recall seeing a summary of radioactivity released by the Univ. Pittsburg prepared by Sternglass as RSO where he provided  some figures on rad releases at the University that exceeded most nuclear power plant liquid effluents.

I had the unique  experience of speaking immediately after Dr. Sternglass to an Annual meeting of the National Association of Atomic Veterans ( NAAV) being held in Washington, DC. I had been invited to speak  about the real and substantial issue of Nasal Radium Irradiation (NRI) which had been used on about 7,000 Army Air Force vets during WWII and on another group of Air Force personnel numbering at least 3,000 after WWII to minimize problems with “otic barotrauma” —inability to equalize pressure during rapid changes of pressure between the middle ear and ambient due to the Eustachian tubes being blocked due to enlarged adenoids. NRI was also used on at least 5,000 submariner trainees who could not equalize pressure during initial testing—which was a disqualifying condition for any person who wanted to become a submariner.  A typical course of radium “therapy” consisted of inserting a sealed 50 mg Ra-226 source [ 0.3 mm Monel encapsulation to maximize beta dose] bilaterally through each nostril to position the source tip in proximity to the opening of the Euschacian tube for 10 to 12 minutes, with irradiation repeated  2 to 3 times. This delivered sufficient radiation exposure (>1000 rads —10 Gy) to hypertrophied adenoids to shrink this lymphatic tissue, opening up the Eustachian tube so pressure could be equalized.     I had published a Letter-to-the-Editor of the New England Journal of Medicine in 1991 titled “Radium Exposure in U.S. Military Personnel” calling for the VA and DoD to start an outreach program to notify radium treated vets since they had a “right to know” they were at risk due to the substantial radiation dose they had received from NRI administered by the US Government, and called for the US Government to establish a registry of NRI treated vets. The Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery initially responded to my letter to the New England Journal of Medicine saying that NRI treated vets had “a right to privacy, not a right-to-know”. NRI exposure of children has been the subject of two Ph.D. theses at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and a host of hormonal health impacts have been observed due to pituitary irradiation, and head and neck cancers including an Adjusted Relative Risk = 30.9 for combined benign and malignant brain tumors. NOTE: 30.9 = RR for not a 30% increase in brain tumors but a 3000% increase per a long term epidemiological study of about 800 children administered NRI.

In any case Sternglass gave a talk to the 1994 NAAV Annual Meeting preceding my talk,  that was simply astounding to behold.  Sternglass’ talk can only be described as Scaremongering to the 1000th power. He blamed radiation releases to the environment from atomic testing and nuclear power plant operations as having caused not just excess cancers, but the AIDS epidemic to develop in Africa as well as affecting academic performance of young students.

Wow!

Stewart Farber, MSPH
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
951 Old Clinton Rd - #20