[ RadSafe ] coal ash

Egidi, Philip Egidi.Philip at epa.gov
Wed Sep 2 12:13:56 CDT 2015

Radioactivity in coal and its residuals has been studied over the decades and results published in the open literature. It is well-known.

I don't have citations here with me at the moment but will try and get some assembled tonight.

To answer your question John, yes it can be classified as TENORM (that is just my opinion, am not making a policy statement representing the EPA). It is not source, special nuclear or byproduct material, and it has been concentrated by human practices and is available for exposure or transport in the environment...

See ANSI N13.53 (2009), the National Academies 1999 Report on TENORM, or CRCPD Suggested State Regulations Part N for a few of definitions of TENORM.

PVE

Philip Egidi
Environmental Scientist
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Radiation Protection Division
Washington, DC
(202) 343-9186 (work)
(970) 209-2885 (Cell)

"The health of the people is the highest law."
Cicero (106 - 43 BC)