[ RadSafe ] When Radiation Isn’t the Real Risk

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:11:58 CDT 2015

Dear Joseph:

When I worked with hazardous materials as a geologist, I had to annually
pass a health screening exam as well as what I would effectively call a
"stress test" to determine if I could safely wear Level A and Level B
protective equipment. Those individuals susceptible to asthma, respiratory,
or other restricting conditions were strictly excluded. The same is true
for other occupations: "Can you safely lift 60 lbs?"  Work environments are
quite different than the general population.

This afternoon, I'll be hauling and stacking 100 bales of hay, each
weighing 60-80 lbs for my horses. There are quite a few at the stables who
struggle with carrying that sort of weight, not to mention 100 of them and
lift them over one's head. Hiring and allowing someone with a bad back to
attempt this kind of strenuous work is not only foolish, but deserving of a
probable law suit.

So, of course government, industry and individuals may restrict someone's
"right to work" in an environment that would be hazardous to their health,
especially if those conditions can be screened.

As Susan pointed-out, living in Alabama is significantly more hazardous in
reference to cancer than living in Colorado in spite of the increased
background radiation in Colorado. What Susan may not be aware of is that
Alabama is also the much more "hazardous" when it comes to obesity,
diabetes and heart disease than any state in the USA and has the highest
incidence of disability assistance in the USA. Alabama also does not
provide "Obamacare" assistance to it's citizens. Perhaps there is a
correlation.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd