[ RadSafe ] Po-210 particle mobility

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Thu Apr 14 13:02:27 CDT 2016

There is an interesting line in a paper by Stannard and Casarett from a 1964 paper:

"Finally, the tendency of polonium-210 to "creep" from containers holding solutions or to become detached from the best-plated and protected substrates has contributed to many instances of unexpected area contamination."

There is no citation accompanying this statement - it seems to have been considered common knowledge at that time. The paper is:

Stannard JN and Casarett GW. Concluding Comments on Biological Effects of Alpha-Particle Emitters in Soft Tissue as Exemplified by Experiments with Polonium 210. Radiation Research Supplement 5, 398-434 (1964).

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109