[ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other sneaky Manhattan project words

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:22:32 CST 2016

When I was a student many, many, many decades ago the professor who taught
us principles of radioactivity mentioned when research was done on cross
sections someone mentioned the dimensions of 10E-24cm2 and some other
scientist exclaimed "That is as big as a barn!" For such anecdotes there
are usually no citations or sources known. "If this has been invented it
was well invented." For me it is funny that *I still remember that though I
cannot keep my own telephone number by heart*. If someone does not close a
door behind him we use to say in German that the door is wide open like a
barns door. Maybe some connection?

Best regards,

Franz