[ RadSafe ] Pb-210 Accumulation on Supply Fan Filters

Nick Tsurikov nick.tsurikov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 07:06:28 CST 2016

Dear all,
I've seen Pb-210 on several occasions in gas production/storage
facilities.  Sure, there is large Pb-210 peak - but it is present in the
form of a a rather thin film (1/16" is probably the most I've seen) and is
relatively easy to remove. Clean the stuff with a "pig"/"plug", put it in a
drum in the corner of the workshop/plant and signpost it (so it won't get
lost), pipes are back - clean and good for re-use.
With filters - one needs to look at the electrostatic precipitators and
filters at different smelters (copper and nickel in particular, sometime
iron/steel as well).  The "attached fraction" [to dust] of Rn-222 progeny
tends to accumulate there, and the longest living progeny (Pb-210) is
almost always detectable...
Kind regards
Nick Tsurikov