[ RadSafe ] Australian Uranium in Antarctic Ice ?

Tue Jul 26 13:55:02 CDT 2016

I agree.  Plus, if I were to find an increase in dust, I would be more likely to believe it came from an open pit mine, with blasting and big equipment lifting and dumping HUGE amounts of material every day, rather than believe it came from people driving down dirt roads, if both were a thousand miles away.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of KARAM, PHILIP
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:09 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Australian Uranium in Antarctic Ice ?

I'm guessing that they're looking at the timing. If (for example) U concentrations in Antarctic ice started rising shortly after they started mining U in Australia - and especially if the rise in U tracks with the increase in mining - then one can infer that dust from the mining activities is responsible for the increased U in glaciers. To make a case for it being from U in surface dirt and dust you'd have to show that weather changed in such a way as to cause elevated levels of dust wafting down to Antarctica at the time in question.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109