[ RadSafe ] Space Radiation Devastated the Lives of Apollo Astronauts

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Fri Jul 29 09:05:32 CDT 2016

Keep in mind that the Apollo program ended over 40 years ago so ALL of the Apollo astronauts are getting up there in years. Add to that the fact that heart disease and cancer are huge causes of mortality among people of that age in the US. I don't know that we can necessarily say that, because a small group of men, who are now in their 70s and 80s, have died of heart disease that exposure to elevated doses of cosmic radiation 40-50 years ago has caused the heart disease.

First - it's a small number of people (24)
Second - it's a common cause of death
Third - they're in the death-prone years

With such a small population size and such a common cause of death, unless they are all dying of a very rare form of heart disease that might plausibly be caused by exposure to solar or galactic cosmic rays, it seems unlikely that we could draw any conclusions at all.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109