[ RadSafe ] Survey Instrument Question

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Fri Jul 29 18:37:14 CDT 2016

when using an open window GM tube, some individuals place a plastic cap on the open window when they want to read units of mR per hour.  The calibration was likely performed with the radiation field perpendicular to the axis of the tube. If you are encountering a flux of radiation that enters the open window, One might expect 3 to 1 ratio for those two tube sizes. when surveying analytical x-ray equipment, a GM tube is an excellent choice for discovering penetrations or holes through the lead shielding.

Joe Shonka

Sent from my iPhone