[ RadSafe ] After Five Years, What Is The Cost Of Fukushima?

Joseph Preisig jrpnj01 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:05:30 CST 2016

Radsafe/Karam,

     Rivers do not cause tsunamis, but I wouldn't want to be in the
vicinity of the Puget Sound when a big
earthquake occurs in the Cascadia fracture zone.  Faults are everywhere in
Japan --- build nuclear plants away from the
ones that are associated with large/great earthquakes. There have been
several or more large/great earthquakes in Japan in the last
100 years.  The Japanese knew this.  A 7.0 magnitude earthquake might not
produce much of a tsunami.  Magnitude 8.0 to 9.0 earthquakes do produce
tsunamis.  We can build nuclear plants in better locations.  The nuclear
plants do not have to be 10 miles inland.  Just figure out the maximum
tsunami size, couple that with local topographic information and figure out
how far inland a nuclear plant needs to be.  In Italy, they have recently
put seismologists IN JAIL for not predicting a magnitude 6.7 earthquake.
Might this happen in Japan someday to nuclear plant designers who don't
design an acceptably safe nuclear plant.???

     Joe Shonka, a San Andreas earthquake is a land earthquake primarily
(strike-slip) and it will not generate a tsunami.

     Much is known about earthquakes.  In his 1977??? JGR (Journal of
Geophysical Research) paper Kanamori shows a pretty good correlation of
large/great earthquakes with peaks in the Earth Orientation Amplitude
(Chandler wobbles (2) and Annual wobble).  These peaks (which are rather
broad in time) were in 1910, 1954, 1998, 2042 etc.  2042 is coming.  The
large/great quakes associated with the 1998 peak were something like:
Indonesia (3 quakes --- remember these tsunamis), Chile, Japan
(Fukushima).  Some of the quakes associated with the 1954 peak were the
1960 and 1964 Alaska and Chile earthquakes.  Remember these earthquakes???
I guess the 1906 San Francisco earthquake was associated with the 1910
peak. Remember seeing pictures from this earthquake???

     Clearly, we can't do much about cities that are already on the San
Andres fault zone or other fault zones.  We can engineer better the
buildings in these cities.  We can build reactors in less-seismic
locations.  I guess ALARA works for nuclear plant construction also???

     Joe Preisig