[ RadSafe ] Electronic Record Keeping

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Tue Mar 29 11:29:04 CDT 2016

Electronic record keeping is not just a store it away for a later date
proposition!  I know.

I have computer files dating back to 1980 - mostly on sssd 5 1/4
floppies.  I had a large software collection on about 2000 dsdd 5 1/4
floppies.  The contents of the 2000 floppies have been archived to 3 CDs
and much of the older stuff has been copied to harddrives - I still have
a few more to do when I get around to it..... sometimes they are still
readable - sometimes not - and I probably have a couple of the last few
5 1/4 drives in existence and well as a machine still working that they
work on (finally got rid of my 8 inch floppy drives).  Through all this
I'd always wished I had the hard drive space to just keep it all
online.  NOW with 29T on my system I do BUT ---- now I find that that's
not enough.  Things can go wrong with harddrives so you have to have
multiple copies and "visit them" from time to time and maybe even copy
them to another drive and back just to refresh them.  In other words I
have found that electronic records storage requires continual maintenance.

Then there is always the issue of reading what some program has encoded
to disk.  MOST of the data I have put away is in ASCII text - very
readable - but much is also from programs - like some old spreadsheets -
and the of course the format was proprietary, the program no longer
available and new programs don't import.  I recently shared some old
Quattro Pro "utility tool" spreadsheets with a college and had to remake
them all by hand in a newer program - and even cut and paste from the
old software to the new didn't work.

So - electronic archiving of data requires considerable planning,
maintenance and just plain luck.  When someday jpegs and pdfs no longer
work I'll REALLY be in trouble.

You just don't have these kinds of issues with paper.  And they have
lots better paper now than they did 2000 years ago!