[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Study Links Residential Radon Exposure to Hematologic Cancers in Women

Harrison - CDPHE, Tony tony.harrison at state.co.us
Sun May 1 13:00:40 CDT 2016

​This reminds me a lot of graduate school. There was a study published in
The Lancet: ​
*Possible association between mutant frequency in peripheral lymphocytes
and domestic radon concentrations​; *Volume 337, Issue 8751
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/01406736/337/8751>, 18 May
1991, Pages 1187-1189;

in which* hprt* mutant frequencies ​(possibly related to hematopoitic
cancers) appeared to show a statistically significant relationship with
radon concentrations measured in subject homes. For my Master's thesis I
recruited a bunch of nonsmoking high school kids, measured radon in their
bedrooms for a full year, drew some blood and measured mutant frequencies
and determined that there was no relationship between the two. Our results
were eventually published here:
*Hprt Mutant Frequency, Non-Pulmonary Malignancies and Domestic Radon
Exposure: Post-**Mortem Analysis of an Interesting Hypothesis*; Ruttenber,
A.J., Harrison, L., Barron, A;
​ ​
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, 2001;37(1):7-16.

At about the same time, the authors of the original study conducted a
better one, and also found no correlation. (
Jane Cole, Michael H. L. Green, Bryn A. Bridges, Alastair P. W. Waugh,
David M. Beare, Denis Henshaw, Rex Last, Yafei Liu, and Gino Cortopassi (
*1996*)
*Lack of Evidence for an Association between the Frequency of Mutants or
Translocations in Circulating Lymphocytes and Exposure to Rado​n​ Gas in
the Home*. Radiation Research: January 1996, Vol. 145, No. 1, pp. 61-69.
​)​

Ecological studies are good for teaching statistical methods in
epidemiology, and sometimes for hypothesis generation, but those involving
radon at the county level are hardly ever confirmed by studies with better
designs. I'm tempted to say never confirmed, but there might be one or two
out there I've missed. Searching the literature for links between leukemia
and radon shows a number of ecological studies that show a correlation and
a bigger number of good, prospective cohort studies that find no such
correlation. There's really no need to wait for confirmation by better
studies: the studies have been done, the findings are clear, and the
authors of this latest paper should have done a better job of reviewing the
available literature.

My two cents, obviously, and just as obviously, my personal opinion and not
that of my employer.

*Tony Harrison, MSPH*

*Chemistry Supervisor*

P 303-692-3046  |  F 303-691-4069