[ RadSafe ] IBIS Sr-90 source construction

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun May 29 16:57:22 CDT 2016

Hi all,

A little chemistry for Radsafe.

Strontium is a silvery metal and a typical earthalkali element. It is
produced by reducing strontium oxide with aluminium powder at high S.
Because of its norm potential of -2,89 V it is not possible to electroplate
it from an aqueous solution of strontium salts. It is rather reactive and
reacts easily with water to form strontium hydroxide and hydrogen. It burns
when ignited. Strontium salts show when heated in a flame a beautiful
karmin-red colour, which is  used in fireworks.

Sr-90 is used in many technical applications, but it should be noticed that
in many applications the much harder beta radiation of its shortlived
daugther radionuclide Y-90 (in equilibrium) is actually the "active
ingredient". The same is true for the health effects. As well it should not
be forgotten that also bremsstrahlung (what a nice english word!) should not
be neglected. Remember the russian forest workers who unknowingly found a
well shielded electricity generator based on a Sr-90 battery in winter and
sat on it because it was warm.

After having read the message on Radsafe I thought that maybe we should not
be so harsh with some anti-nuclear agitators because they simply have not
the appropriate education. But I discarded this thought quickly, because
these people believe really that they or their stars posess the truth and
nothing but the truth and anyone who does not share their opinion is stupid,
a massmurderer and a criminal. Contrary to this attitude Brad wrote "I
believe"!

Best regards,

Franz