[ RadSafe ] erficaonal System of Units for Radiation Measurements in the US

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Sep 21 15:50:32 CDT 2016

Bob,.

Usually I am very patient and give people the excuse that they are
uninformed, but your mail is unexcusable, shows a lack of knowledge and
shows worst of all the widespread attitude of US-citizens and polititians
that there is the USA in this world and beyond there simply nothing exists
and therefore can be ignored. Therefore only a very short comment - I intend
to write a longer, scientifically based comment on the absurd Curie vs Bq
issue.

Your claim, that SI units are not international is absurd - have you ever
been abroad, at an international conference? Obviously not. s Not even in
the USA there are any conferences where speakers use Ci and the like. Have
you ever read any international radiation protection journal - obviously
not. (It is quite a few years if not decades ago that the "bible" of health
physics, the US published HPJ refused to accept papers with "old" i.e.
outdated units. Even the intermediately use of units like c-Gray was just
another unit refused by HPJ.

>From my own experience during and after the Chernobyl accident we had
terrible troubles in comparing data submitted in nCi from the Sovjetunion,
some eastern countries and even Japan to us in Bq. Not to talk about the
problems to the public, which did not understand anything at all, but being
fed with numbers both in nCi and Bq. The Greens used of course the higher
ones, not giving the units anyway.

I cannot understand why you cannot see any advantage in a worldwide
identical standard of physical units - what the IS attempted and has
successfully introduced in more than 90 % of the world. The only
disadvantage I could imagine is that the US (not "America" which is
something different!!!!) would have to change or enforce some laws.
Nevertheless appreciated that the "mileage" between Phoenix and Tucson on
the motorway was given in kilometers, funny that the content of whisky
bottles was given in IS units corresponding to traditionally ones

Finally I would encourage everyone to react to changes with an open mind,
accepting any international treaty, any changes, they are usually really for
the better.