[ RadSafe ] Adopting the International System of Units for Radiation Measurements in the United States: Proceedings of a Workshop

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Mar 6 14:53:53 CST 2017

Yes - many manufacturers sell instruments that "readout" in dose units -
Sv - BUT they do not measure DOSE - only exposure.  So they are usually
wrong - especially for soft x-rays.

In the example cited an Ion Chamber was specified for DOSE measurements
- but Ion Chambers only measure exposure.

To go from exposure to dose, calculations are necessary knowing the
spectrum and the body part to which the dose is to be evaluated.

On 3/6/2017 10:15 AM, Konstantin V Povod wrote:
> If we are talking about measurements applicable to the personnel protection, there is no need to use exposure units with following calculations. Instead, Ambient Dose Equivalent  (H*(10)) could (should?) be used. It is measured in Sv, and many monitoring equipment manufacturers now give you an option of scales in exposure or H*(10) units. There are many publications and articles on this toping, probably ICRU 1993 would be a best source, but here's also a couple:
>
> https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q8949.html
>
> http://www.nucleonica.net/wiki/index.php?title=Ambient_dose_equivalent_H*(10)
>
> But, of course, until regulations adopt these changes in US, it'd be very difficult to use H*(10) calibrated monitors here.
>
> Konstantin Povod, CHP, RRPT
> RSO, LSO Clemson University

>>> the-united-states?utm_source=NASEM+News+and+Publications&
>>> utm_campaign=b2788914c1-Final_Book_2017_03_02_24645&utm_