[ RadSafe ] WG: Fwd: [New post] 4.1 micro Sv/h driving by the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant

takvorian at gmx.net takvorian at gmx.net
Sun Dec 2 13:49:11 CST 2018

Without regard to the (needed) details of the measurement, as pointed
out by Rick Strickert, and referring to

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/f1/index-e.html
and
http://fukushima-radioactivity.jp/pc/
(see the map image and activate the youngest map with the rightmost
point on the slider)

an instrument reading of about 4 uSv/h seems to be plausible or at least
possible if one is in the close proximity of the plant (not regarding
the question if anybody is allowed to drive that close to it ...) or in
the core of the fallout corridor which is pointing to NNW, away from Tokyo.

But with regard to the same sources, the statement "*Tokyo will never be
safe* but will be ready for 2020 Olympic Games" is *inacceptable *...

Even in the Fukushima prefecture (which is (as told by Google Maps)
about 280 km / 175 miles away from Tokyo) most instrument readings
(except in the in immediate plant proximity and along the the core
fallout corridor pointing to NNW) arearound or below 0.1 uSv/h (see 2nd
source, youngest map). I expect the dose rate in Tokyo and its proximity
to be far below detection limits.

Regarding that, the statement mentioned above is just plain, senseless
propaganda.

Additional:

There's a very nice interactive map at

https://jciv.iidj.net/map/

It shows a large number of measurement sites with their dose rate
readings, zoomable like in Google Maps.

Looks like it's even possible to get time series data ... but that part
seems to have some tripwires for non-japanese folks ;-)

Regards

Frank