[ RadSafe ] Ni-63 "Sealed" Sources

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Wed Sep 5 10:42:10 CDT 2018

They are quasi-sealed sources.
The wipe limits specified in the SS&DR (Sealed Source and Device Registration) for the foils (US Nuclear Regulatory Commission) are 50 nCi (1.85 kBq) for the inactive side and 500 nCi (18.5 kBq) for the active plated side.

There was even a proposal within the NRC to not require leak testing Ni-63 sources:  (I think that the NRC changed the wipe criteria for the inactive side to 50 nCi at that time rather than do as Hickey recommended)
https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0121/ML012140304.pdf

Best regards,
Cary