[ RadSafe ] Question for Legal Eagles + Associates

dkjordan2001 at yahoo.com dkjordan2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 17:02:02 CDT 2019

Good Day Mr. Alston,

It was my understanding that action levels were established by regulated entities to ensure they stayed well below regulatory limits.

We dealt with a lot of companies that employed large, portable sealed sources.  Most of these were Special Form to avoid needing a Type B container to transport.  If one of these sources failed a leak test it was no longer Special Form and could not be moved without expensive re-packaging.  Several customers established action levels at a fraction of the leak test pass/fail limit so they could move theses sources to their final resting place before they failed the test.

Several years ago I heard of a case where an inspector cited a licensee for exceeding their internal action levels in some area, even though they were well within regulatory limits.  I do not know how this was resolved but you could check the radsafe archives.