[ RadSafe ] Your Editorial on Nuclear Power

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Thu Apr 16 07:08:07 CDT 2020

Roger.
  I think a great deal of the radioactive components in coal are highly concentrated in fly and bottom ash and does not go out the stack.  U and Th ( and their daughters) are present in coal at levels not too different from other materials that make up earth. When burned, and when 95% of the carbon is burned, those nuclides become concentrated 10X or more (along with other toxic metals).  While some daughter products are gaseous or volatile, most remain with the ash. The ash may well be more hazardous than depleted uranium.
Joe Shonka

Sent from my iPhone