Re: ... old LSC

George-

I've seen several replies to your message here, but having been through the
disposal process a few times as an RST here at Ohio State, it seems to me
that no one hit _all_ of the salient points.

First thing to do (assuming it's operational) is to see if anyone else can
use it.  If nobody in your organization wants it, contact regulatory
agencies or professional associations, starting with the smallest/most
local, and see if they have suggestions.  Even if it's "inop" someone may
still want it if it can be repaired/refurbished at reasonable cost.

Next, contact whatever regulatory agency oversees your operations and tell
them what you're planning to do (transfer or dispose) and see if they have
specific instructions.

If you need to trash it, contact Packard and have them reclaim any and all
radioactive sources and standards associated with the unit.  Unless you
have another use for them (or want to sell them yourself), tell Packard
they can take the lead shielding blocks too.  They may or may not want
them, but it can't hurt to ask.

When Packard's finished, find a survey meter appropriate to the isotopes
that were analyzed in the instrument and frisk it inside and out for
contamination.  Include the lead shielding materials in your survey.  If
there is any possibility that tritium or other long-lived isotopes were
present, perform a representative set of smear wipes inside and out.
Decontaminate as necessary to meet your facility's release criteria.

If Packard didn't take the lead, you'll have to dispose of it through your
facility's hazardous waste stream.  Once it meets release limits, the rest
of the unit can be tossed in the dumpster (before chucking it, I'd suggest
going over it and removing all labels, tags, emblems, etc. that even *hint*
of the presence of radioactive material).

Sorry if I went overboard on the survey stuff, but I didn't see anything to
indicate what your position is within TVA (i.e. whether you've done all
this before).

Good luck and have fun!

>	We have an old Packard 2200CA LSC that we aren't using anymore.
>Anyone have any idea what we can do with it?  I think we have to send it to
>someone with a Rad Material license.
>
>	George

J. Eric Denison
Nuclear Engineering Program