Re: Training Material for Noble Gas

There are several ways to sample.  Some that I'm familiar with are:

Take an evacuated chamber into the sampling site and open the valve.

Take a Marinelli filled with water into the sampling site and empty it out.

Take a chamber into the sampling site and draw several chamber volumes of air
thru it.

Take a Marinelli into the sampling site and wave it around.  This is the
easiest method and is probably valid, but tends to meet with skepticism from
regulators.

Also, if noble gas is your only radiation source, a dose rate measurement is
useful.

Also, remember that noble gases have betas which give skin dose but do not
register on TLD's.  To obtain accurate doses, calculations are needed.  Table
B-1 of Regulatory Guide 1.109 has dose factors for noble gas exposure.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com