Re: Training Material for Noble Gas

Dave,

Do you have our paper on noble gas retention in body fat?  Use of Xe-133
Retention in the Body to Evaluate Submersion Skin Doses; RPM Nov/Dec 1991.

Essentially, people breathe in quite a bit of noble gas and retain a very
small, but measureable fraction (0.3% at 1.5 hours).  This fraction is easily
measureable with a whole body counter and has a reasonably consistent half-life
in the body fat: ~5 to 6 hrs.  It works very well if you had a situation where
people were exposed and noble gas samples were not taken or were questionably
representative.

And you can estimate the external skin dose from the internal measurement: 100
nCi per 1 mrad at 1.5 hours.  I can send the paper if you can't find it.

Mike Lantz