Re: Airport X-ray Security Scanner

In a message dated 01/03/2000 1:07:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
glenn@u1st.com writes:

<< Based on the
 manufacturer's claims (and claims of independent verification) the dose
 was reported as 3 uR (0.03 uGy) for 4 views total (front, back, and both
 sides). >>

The critical phrase here is "based on the manufacturer's claims..."  These
devices have been used in prison environments, but my understanding is there
are questions remaining regarding the default settings of the device, how
they can be changed, and who can change them.  The total dose should be about
3 microR, but I believe that can be over-ridden, and if someone can do it,
they will do it...Now, would the maximum output pose a danger?  I don't know,
I haven't looked at this in sufficient detail.

Barbara Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com