Re: "The Plutonium Files"-Question

Jan. 4

	Eileen Welsome's articles on the human plutonium experiments were printed
in the Albuquerque Tribune, Nov. 15-17, 1993.  They were available in a
tabloid-size reprint at one time, but I checked with the Tribune library
yesterday and they are no longer available.  I have a copy of the reprint
in my records.

	Part One of the series has a sidebar "What is Plutonium?".  Welsome quotes
John Gofman, who she describes as "one of the world's leading experts on
the dangers of low-level radiation".  She notes his book "Radiation and
Human Health" wherein Gofman says (according to Welsome), "thousands of
pounds of plutonium radionuclides" have returned to earth; and she says
that Gofman "estimates that the plutonium fallout will cause an estimated
950,000 lung-cancer deaths worldwide."  According to Gofman, because of
genetic damage the plutonium fallout will cause cancer, heart disease, and
schizophrenia in future generations.  (That's what she said he said --
schizophrenia.)

	Welsome was interviewed about her book in October 1999 in the Weekly
Alibi, a local florid and iconoclastic tabloid.  The link to the interview is

<http://www.alibi.com/alibi/1999-10-14/feat.html>.

	Her book was reviewed in the same issue of the Alibi.  The link to the
review is

<http://www.alibi.com/alibi/1999-10-14/bookreview.html>

Steven Dapra
sjd@iolnm.net