Re: journalists' ethics

Here are two resources for journalism ethics codes you could try.

Mike

The American Society of Newspaper Editors houses the Code
of Ethics of over thirty newspapers nationwide -
http://www.asne.org/ideas/codes/codes.htm

The Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics -
http://spj.org/ethics/code.htm

At 12:08 PM 1/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:15:30 -0200
>From: "Michael Stabin" <stabin@npd.ufpe.br>
>To: <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: journalists' ethics
>
>Ron K wrote:
>
> > Apparently journalists and scientists
> > have very different ethical and legal standards applicable to them.
>
>If "extremely toxic journalists" (remember, we are to use this as a single
>word now) have ethical standards, I am not able to perceive them.  Is the
>bottom line only "absence of malice"?  It seems to be considerably lower
>than that at times (how low can YOU go?).  Quite seriously, is anyone aware
>of an actual code of ethics that even theoretically apply to journalistic
>behavior, similar for example to the CHP code?  It would be interesting to
>quote chapter and verse at times in these situations of intentional
>misquoting, creating of a public nuisance, etc.

Michael C. Baker
Environmental Technology Group (E-ET)
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos, NM 87545