Re: HELP! Criticality Dose Estimate Trivia

Hanford report, HW-73891, "A Method for Immediate Detection of High Level
Neutron Exposure by Measurement of Socium-24 in Humans," has the equation:

D = 2.5 R/M

where:

R is the count rate, in counts per minte, for a GM tube instrument calibrated to
indicate 3200 (cpm)/(mR/hr) with a radium source

M  is the body weight, in pounds

D is the human dose, in rads.

This is with the survey instrument held against the stomach and abdomen area.
The report  states that "Similar count rates may be obtained by positioning the
probe under the arm and flat against the side of the chest."

In an actual event, it would be important to distinguish between activation and
contamination dose rates.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com