Re: shut down of informed dialogue

Just to set the record straight, I originated that statement, not Michael
Stabin.

Regarding your concerns about the media inhibiting all of these wonderful
technologies, it would be more useful to complain about the weather.  I grew up
in the 60's, when technology for its own sake was considered good, and
scientists were heroes.  That's no longer true.  All technology is looked at
with the question, "What's in it for me;"  and the public won't accept any risk
unless they see a clear, personal benefit.  Notice how General Electric has
changed its corporate slogan from, "Progress is our most important product." to,
"We bring good things to life."  It's a fact of life, and, if we want to
survive, we have to work within these rules.  Complaining and denial are worse
than useless, since they not only make us look bad, but also distract us from
addressing the "real problem."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com