Re: Man Sentenced in radioactive Poisoning Case

Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

> At 13:17 10.01.2000 -0600, you wrote:
> >>The blame goes to the criminal.  If someone picked up a chair and
> >>smashed in someone's head with it, is the University responsible
> >>because chairs were not secured against lifting?
> >

> ???????????????????? What has this to do with the fact, that the University
> obviously neglected its duty to keep radioactive material safely under
> control, as is is usually required in civilized countries? Or do you think
> that the blame goes to a criminal shooting somebody with army guns, spread
> out by the responsible persons on an open market place and left unattended
> ?????????? Not only radioactive material has to be kept safely, but also
> poisonous chemicals like mercury compounds, barium compounds, cyanides and
> and and and and..... If somebody would have the opportunity at a university
> to take such compounds and kill another person with them, then of course
> also (I say explicitely
> a l s o !!!) the university has to be cited.

Working at an uncivilized US University I feel your explanation and analogy as to
why the university must be sited reveals your ignorance to the issue.  The blame
goes to the individual, period.  Under Colorado (an agreement state with the US
NRC) law, a TRAINED individual can be prosecuted by the state government for
criminally misusing a radioactive material.  Our full- time staff of 4 people
manages over 80 laboratories and over 700 occupational workers licensed to use
radiation.  If a person who is trained in radiation safety, and the regulations
outlining radiation use DECIDES and PLANS to intentionally misuse a radioactive
material, there is  NOTHING we can do to stop that person.  That's just flat
common sense.  The university is NOT liable of someone who has been granted
access by way of training and decides to steal/break the law and misuse a
dangerous material.   How can the university be responsible for an individual's
behavior who knowingly breaks the law??????????  That would be like saying
Austria is responsible for your insensitive and ignorant comments to this
particular issue.  We all know it's not Austria's fault.  If the university had
been negligent in "locking the door" and NOT training their personnel, only then
would you have an argument.

--
James P. Abraham

Phone:  (970) 491-3928  Fax:  (970) 491-4804
email:  jimabe@lamar.colostate.edu