Misuse of Rad Material & Security

Dear Radsafers:

I hesitantly jump into this fray.  I've followed this thread for a while and
it's interesting (and not surprising) to note how opinions vary depending
upon the commenter's current position.  Most university RSOs will tell you
that it's not possible to totally secure radioactive material, particularly
when someone with legitimate access decides to do something inappropriate
with it - like dump it into some else's morning coffee.

Shortly after the well publicized incidents at NIH and MIT, the regulators
(NRC) began citing institutions for lack of security of radioactive
materials.  Our institution was cited because the NRC inspector was able to
walk into a radionuclide lab unchallenged (i.e., no one was present and the
door was not locked) and had access to several hundred microcuries of S-35 -
now there's a real hazard!!!  You could have ingested the entire amount with
no effect aside from some theoretical increased cancer risk if you subscribe
to the LNT hypothesis.

Some have opined that there are also chemicals within many of these
laboratories that are equally or more hazardous than the radioactive
materials.  That is certainly true.  Thus, the conclusion is that
universities must lock up these laboratories to prevent someone from
stealing them and performing some type of heinous act (the coffee lacing
problem).  How misguided can we be??!!

Anyone can go to their local grocery store, gasoline station, farm supply
store, et. al. and purchase substances that are equally or considerably more
hazardous than the radioactive materials and chemicals in a typical
university research laboratory.  As I recall, the Oklahoma City bomb was
made from materials that are readily available to anyone who wants them
(diesel fuel and fertilizer I think it was).  Arsonists do considerable
damage with a gallon of gasoline.  When I think about someone lacing my
coffee, I hope they choose radioactive material rather than some type of
drain cleaner they could buy at the grocery store - I'll take the
statistical increase in cancer risk over a hole in my stomach any day.  Come
to think of it, maybe we're all better off letting the "nuts" out there
think that radioactive materials are much more hazardous than they really
are.

Given these facts, why is radioactivity considered such a hazard?  In my
opinion, part of the answer is related to the "mystique" associated with
radiation and radioactivity.  When incidents such as those at NIH and MIT
occur, the fact that no one was harmed gets lost because the regulators and
the news media make such a big deal out of it.  This does nothing but
promulgate the radiation mystique.  Government officials can't agree on gun
control, but I would bet that they would be appalled if a university RSO
suggested that radioactive materials really don't need to be under constant
lock and key.  Their level of incredulity would increase exponentially if
such a suggestion was made in a TV interview.

I would also point out another interesting fact related to medically used
radioactive materials.  Under current NRC regulations, we can administer up
to about 200 millicuries of I-131 to a patient, give the patient some
written instructions, and let them go home.  On the other hand, if that 200
millicuries (or 200 microcuries, or 200 nCis, etc.) is left in an unattended
and unlocked laboratory, we can be cited for failing to adequately secure
that material.  Somehow the logic in that escapes me - maybe it's because
when the radioactivity is in a patient it's "good" radiation : - )

Don't get the wrong impression - it's not that I don't think security of
radioactive material is totally unnecessary.  It's just that the security
measures should be commensurate with the hazard.  Furthermore, no security
measures will totally prevent intentional acts by unscrupulous individuals.
My father once said, "Locks are merely to keep out honest people."

My coffee tastes funny - hope it's not P-32.  I'd like to say more, but I
need to go see if all of the "deadly" radioactive material in our 375+
research laboratories is adequately secured : - )

Regards,
Mack R.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu