Re: Sr-90 in wood ash?

In a message dated 1/13/00 10:59:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
John.R.Laferriere@dupontpharma.com writes:

<< Subj:     Sr-90 in wood ash?
 Date:  1/13/00 10:59:58 AM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  John.R.Laferriere@dupontpharma.com (John R Laferriere)
 Sender:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
 To:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (Multiple recipients of list)

 --Boundary_(ID_rDkgpj0Wa6xluZFbBqlkVg)

 Dear Radsafers:

 I am aware of the presence of fairly easily detectable levels of Cs-137 in
wood ash from trees in the northeast U.S. (and perhaps elsewhere) due to
weapons fallout.  Has anyone ever heard about the presence of detectable
levels of Sr-90 in wood ash?  If so could you steer me to the appropriate
reference(s) or provide data (pCi or Bq/g ash, for example) that you are
aware of?  Feel free to email me directly.  Thanks in advance for your
assistance!

 Regards,

 John R. Laferriere, CHP
 DuPont Pharmaceuticals Co.
 Medical Imaging Division
 john.r.laferriere@dupontpharma.com
 (978) 671-8316   fax (978) 671-8149

=========
Hi John:
In the few Sr-90 measurements in woodash which I was able to have made at the
then Yankee Environmental Lab back in 1990 when I initiated a national Cs-137
in woodash survey, the Sr-90 values were as I recall higher than the Cs-137
levels in these few samples.

This is to be expected, since the literature shows a much, much higher
transfer factor for Sr-90 from soil to plant [by factors that can be 100
times or more that claimed by the NRC to pertain to  Cs, which is routinely
assumed to be about 0.01 per R.G. 1.109 but which can be much more depending
on soil chemistry]  and the Cs/Sr ratio in weapons fallout having been about
1.6 to 1.

It would take some real effort on my part to dig out the values from dead
storage of the measurements I had made. Let me know how seriously you need
them. Feel free to call if you have any questions

Happy New Year & Regards,

Stu
Stewart Farber
Consulting Scientist