Re: Journalists' ethics

Ron, I appreciate your thoughtful response.  I wasn't defending the
editor's point of view, just reporting it.  I was also surprised, maybe
even shocked, by his statement that what I saw as the truth wasn't his
prime concern.

My main issue in opening this can of worms again is that it's easy to label
something as being unethical (or wrong or immoral) which further limits the
potential for communication.  Color me naive.

Over and out on this subject.

Craig Little

  At 01:55 AM 1/14/00 -0600, you wrote:
>The recent posting by Craig Little regarding journalistic ethics prompts
>this reply and a rather differenct viewpoint.  Craig's your experience was
>interesting and likely provided invaluable experience and insights.  His
>editor was entirely correct in saying that he wanted to report the news --
>ie who said what (my paraphrasing).  But the editor failed to point out that
>if you only interview or publicize persons with one particular view point,
>you are effectively managing and censoring the news.  For example, in the
>recent presidential primary debates, virtually all the coverage goes to
>Democrats Gore and Bradley and Republicans Bush and McCain.  There are
>others running, but they get very little coverage.  If by and large you hear
>the names of only those four, it is very likely that you will be inclined to
>contribute to their campaigns and to vote for one of them since you will
>have little familiarity with any others; indeed, here in the great Pacific
>Northwest I hear more about the NY senate race (and the two I hear about
>even offically candidates yet) than I do about the minor or third party
>candidates running in the soon to be held presidential primary in New
>Hampshire.
>
>The point is that the media can and do manage the news -- indeed they must
>as they cannot publish everything about everything, just as your local
>library cannot buy every book that comes out.  But if the library only
>bought books and subscribed to magazines put out or recommended by Friends
>of the Earth, would their patrons be getting a fair and balanced picture of
>radiation hazards.  From personal experience I can tell how (and can even
>document) editing of a long interview is deliberately and purposefully was
>done to essentially change your point -- this was the case with my interview
>with "60 Minutes".   Year back, the late Harry Reasoner posed in the context
>of a discussion about the lack of identifiable radiation induced pathology
>in USTUR registrants (ie plutonium workers) what I had found in my research
>with respect to the adequacy of the radiation protection standards.  My
>reply was "nothing startling" and was followed immediately by an explanation
>that the standards framed years ago seemed to have a high level of
>conservatism or safety built into them as intended by their framers.  After
>the editing, this came out on TV as:  "And we asked him what he had found
>out in his 22 (I think that was the number) years of research"  The answer,
>of course, were my two words in response toa rather different question, viz.
>"nothing startling".  Well, Craig, I did say those words, but when taken out
>of context and put into a different question. gave a wholly different
>picture.    "60 Minutes", like many if not most other media interviews, will
>not let you review for accuracy what they put together before they air it.

> [...]

+       Craig A. Little, Ph.D.                                  +
+       Grand Junction Office                                   +
+       Assessment Technology Section                   +
+       Life Sciences Division                          +
+       Oak Ridge National Laboratory                   +
+       2597 B&3/4 Rd.                                  +
+       Grand Junction, CO 81503                                +
+       970/248-6201 (voice) 970/248-6207 (fax)         +