RE: More on "informed dialogue"

One of the problems of the early days of the nuke industry was the
stonewalling of the industry (and the AEC) toward any "outsider" who asked a
question (like me).  I was actually forced out of the ACRS public hearing on
Fort St. Vrain in theory because "I was not represented by counsel."  I was
just an ordinary citizen who was interested (albeit I was a member of Sierra
Club, which at that time was pro-nuke).  The result was that people like me
were wooed by the anti-nuke camp (and I was, successfully for a while).
There was a tendency to lump anyone who even asked a reasonable question
together with the hard core, shut-'em-down antis.  I wanted answers to my
questions, and they were reasonable technical questions (I TA'd a
radiochemistry lab, after all).  In about 1981, some industry people woke up
and I actually got my first nuke industry consultancy.

Now we see a funny sort of obverse of this.  All questions about nukes are
lost in the relentless pandering to the "fears" of the "public" and real
questions are lost in the shuffle.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories