RE: Suggestions? and MSC story to be on CBS- Misuse of language

> William V Lipton[SMTP:liptonw@dteenergy.com] wrote on Friday January 14,
> 2000 7:39 AM
> To: 	Multiple recipients of list
> Subject: 	Re: Suggestions? and MSC story to be on CBS- Misuse of
> language

<snip>
....an accident that wasn't supposed to happen, did.  This is an all too
familiar
> story in this business, and unless we put a stop to it fast, we'll
> continue our
> downward spiral.
<><><><><><><><><><>

Comment:
The above seems to imply that only a perfectly accident-free record in the
nuclear industry will put a stop to biased media reporting.

I think there are at least two problems with this :

First - obviously - there is no chance of ANY industry ever achieving a
perfect safety record, and that goes for nuclear too ("very good" yes,
"perfect" no ).

Second, it could probably be argued that as far as the media is concerned,
exactly the opposite is true -- that the nuclear industry's very good safety
record actually contributes to the "freak factor" of accidents that do in
fact occur, that their rarity makes them particularly appealing to media
reporters (and in the absence of an accident, even the mere threat of harm
will do in many cases, with fanciful "what if" scenarios substituted in
place of reality, etc., etc.).
Compare this to any one of a number of far more hazardous human activities
where the sheer number of injuries & fatalities is so high that the media
doesn't bother reporting accidents at any level except perhaps the local
suburban neighborhood paper. An familiar example is automobile accidents,
where the only ones that get global media coverage are huge pileups that
cause many deaths at once. Has the car industry experienced a "downward
spiral" on account of all these accidents ? Evidently not !!  Similarly, the
frequency of natural gas explosions has gradually reached the stage where
only big, multi-fatality blasts get global media coverage. But gas is
becoming more & more popular everywhere. One of the most common causes of
serious injury & death is people falling from the roofs of their houses -
but rooftop solar collectors and windmills remain very popular in spite of
it - no doubt due to the dearth of media hype of such mundane accidents...

Since neither I nor (I assume) Bill want to reduce biased media coverage by
sharply increasing the accident rate at nuclear installations, alternative
approaches are called for. A few of us have suggested some, attempting to
deal more with the media's perverse reporting habits than with the
impossible goal of achieving perfection in industry. You say its "the
dumbest suggestion I've heard in quite a while." Would you care to come up
with a better one ?

regards,

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca