Re: Suggestions? and MSC story to be on CBS- Misuse of language

So, I guess, the proper procedure is to tell the world that accidents will happen
and for the public to just get used to the idea.  Hey, that's not too bad an idea.
Then no one could ever accuse us of telling the world that things nuclear can never
hurt them.  But then, how do we tell the public that things nuclear are safe?  Just
playing the devil's advocate here.  I really do think we should quit saying there
will never be accidents at nuclear facilities (if we ever have).  We know there have
been accidents (incidents) and we anticipate there will be more.  I wonder if the
Japanese really did tell their public that there would never be an accident at
Tokimura?  Anyone know?  Also, what, specifically, have the Japanese told the public
in writing about the safety of nuclear power plants?  I'll bet, since Tokimura was
NOT a nuclear power plant accident, the Japanese government never said anything
about what could happen at that plant.  Who of you out there knows the truth about
what has been said by the Government in Japan about nuclear safety, and would be
willing to tell us.  Thanks. Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

> "The real problem" is not the number of lives lost, but that the management at
> Tokaimura grossly violated its own safety procedures regarding both the mass of
> fissile material  in the process and the processing methods, and, as a result,
> an accident that wasn't supposed to happen, did.
> >
> > One effective way to counter this pathological behavior may be by "fighting
> > fire with fire," ie. by keeping track of, and, at opportune moments,
> > pointing out other non-nuclear "freak" accidents in the recent past, to the
> > offending publication/program.
begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al
x-mozilla-html:FALSE