Re: Suggestions? and MSC story to be on CBS- Misuse of language

I generally avoid superlatives, but this is the dumbest suggestion I've heard in
quite a while.  As I stated on several occasions, comparative body counts don't
help.  This also makes the radiation protection community appear uncaring, i.e.,
that only mass disasters are important, and that we don't care about individual
lives.

We are all to eager to "shoot the messenger," but not very impressive when it
comes to critically looking at our mistakes.

"The real problem" is not the number of lives lost, but that the management at
Tokaimura grossly violated its own safety procedures regarding both the mass of
fissile material  in the process and the processing methods, and, as a result,
an accident that wasn't supposed to happen, did.  This is an all too familiar
story in this business, and unless we put a stop to it fast, we'll continue our
downward spiral.

As Pogo said, long ago:  "We have met the enemy and he is us."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Journalists probably will not admit it, but I believe that one reason why