Russia: RBMK design and Religion.

In a message dated 1/17/00 10:00:31 Pacific Standard Time, schoenho@via.at
writes:

<< Sovjetunion
 also used it for this purpose. To my knowledge there are no new RMBK's
 under construction in any part of the former Sovjetunion. The "bad"
 behaviour of this design has been known for many years before the Chernobyl
 accident.

Who knew??? that RBMK had "bad" design or behavior.
The only design flaw - design of the emergency rods tips, which led to the
accident, has been discovered after the accident.
Other circumstances for the designers were hard to predict, particularly the
fact that most of the Nuclear Power Plants were and are running by the
electrical engineers oppose to nuclear.
The positive temperature coefficient is not a design flaw but a boiling
reactor's feature.
There were and are many boiling reactors all around the world.

Therefore I would not expect that they would now export it. It
 would be politically unwise for Russia to enable an Islamic republic to
 produce in principle weapons grade plutonium.
 Franz

I do not see what an Islamic republic has to do with nuclear export
restrictions.
In the US, as well as in any civilized country, discrimination on base of
religion is ILLEGAL. If religion shell play the role in RUSSIA-IRAN relations
than Russia never would go with that contract, particularly during the war in
Chechnya, which is also has nothing to do with religion but everything with a
new and very old politics.
It is just very sad to see how religion hysteria are used by politicians.

Emil
kerembaev@cs.com