Re: Suggestions? and MSC story to be on CBS- Misuse of language

Dear Colleagues,
Public, of all social scale, have doubt to understand the difference among
irradiation, exposition and contamination.  In most cases it would seem to
be a "fear of the unknown. Media has part of the responsibility of producing
this deeply implanted fear of nuclear technology. Also the Competent
Authority, due its weak relationship with the media.  International and
National Organization and nuclear industry have the main  responsibility to
eradicate those fears through education.

Better communication, and greater comprehension, of radiation safety  will
require a concerted effort among scientists, journalists, decision-makers,
and the public.

Communication of radiation safety differ from country to country. Moreover,
actions to improve the situation need to be implemented to prevailing issues
of national debate -- for example, discuss with the society after each
general exercise on reactor emergency. Who among any social type of public
or among many of our colleagues know about The International Event Scale
(INES)?  -- Nuclear Reactor, Power Reactor, both are  typical name -- there
is  no difficulty for public understand such names. The public confusion is
related with the hazard and if  a reactor can explode like a bomb.
Let's consider another point on communication: The difficulty to explain to
Society and also to many organizations the meaning of Radioactive Waste and
disposal:
Waste disposal cannot be justified by itself,  but only as part of the
benefits of the uses of nuclear energy. In terms of communication this  is
a very difficult task for many reason and public and political expectation,
mainly:

1 - Public aversion and hostility to radioactive wastes of all kinds;

2 - General public does not distinguish the different   IAEA classification
of groups A, B and C. They make Confusion about  the terminology used in its
description;

3 - Active political opposition due the hostility  of public acceptance to
accept disposal sites, especially the intense local opposition

4- Argument against reprocessing due the increase amount  of radioactive
waste that has to be disposed;

5 -  It is assumed by the society to be an unsolved   problem

6 - Well organized ante-nuclear groups, acting much more  in the
psychological  attitude of the population rather to discuss technical
solution for public acceptance.

An important role of the scientist is to supply reliable information,
without speculation, to build trust. Since openness is a prerequisite for
credibility, scientists should provide simple information and make more
detailed backup material available for further reference. The  success of
the nuclear industry in France is  the media and population  understanding
and support for their nuclear programme.

Last year I did the following formal suggestion to IAEA:

In order to achieve the Communication objective the IAEA should encourage to
convene meetings to objective progress in this area and to introduce a
special Module in all the IAEA training Course, specially dealing with
Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety as well as Emergency Planning and
Preparedness.

The following syllabus is proposed as a guide  for the preparation of a
training programme and seminar on communication of nuclear issues:

 - Psychology of public with respect nuclear programme
 - Spokesperson ideal for nuclear issues communications
 - Psychological Concerns among communicators
 - Mental Exercise
 - Realistic Approach for communication
 - Risk communication strategies
 - Practical experience in a TV Studio
 - Practical experience in a Press Workroom
 - Visit to relevant facilities and organizations
 -.............................
Topics for discussion in the training:

 -- Reasons for limiting understanding
 -- Controversial about low doses
 -- Limitations of epidemiological data about effects of low doses
 -- Limitations of Government information about Nuclear Programme

  -- Lack of trust and credibility
  -- Lack of sensibility
  -- Lack of adequate coordination
  -- How should the information be given?
 -- Public Concern
  -- unknown and unpredictable risk
  -- involuntary risk
  -- Controversial about low doses
  -- children at risk
  -- future generation

 -- Population Perception of Risk

  -- Comparisons of risks
  -- Early and delayed effects
  -- Environmental effects
  -- Food products effects

 -- Overview of the last accidents

  -- Security of properties
  -- Lessons learned from past errors

 -- Spokesperson and Media

  -- Presentation and interactive skills
  -- Barriers
  -- Technical language: complexity and simplicity
  -- Media main request
  -- Media deadlines for information

Jose Julio Rozental
rozental@unisys.com.br