RE: Suggestions? and MSC story to be on CBS- Misuse of language

There are many reasons why the general public today has perceptions
about anything nuclear cemented in stone. I have to agree with Bill
Lipton when he says that we, the industry, are mainly to blame for
this perception. Granted, there is the LNT association which leads to
fear and misrepresentation of the real risks. However, it's the
industry's past communication methodology, leaving the public and
politicians out of the loop, with the firm belief that they were not
intelligent enough to understand the new technology, and therefore,
had no real reason to be told anything. Tack on all of the industry's
miscues over the years, and those that continue today, and it is not
unreasonable for the public to simply not believe anything we say
about what the real risks are, and how to deal with the perceived
risks.

As stated many times, the answer to our current state lies in
education at the earliest age and grade levels. We also have to find
some science teacher groups who are willing to listen to us today,
since they are still the teachers of our young. If they are not
convinced, there is no one to teach the kids. The reality is we will
have to wait a generation before we can start a new attitude towards
the nuclear option. The question remains, do we have the necessary
time to allow that to happen?

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle