Re: Russia: Iran May Seek More Reactors

In a message dated 1/17/00 10:00:31 Pacific Standard Time, schoenho@via.at
writes:

<<
 The former Sovjetunion has never exported an RMBK reactor, not even to
 former eastern block countries. >>

To the best of my knowledge, please do correct me if I am wrong, GDR (DDR)
(Eastern Germany) had one or two RBMK type units (1000-???) or its older and
smaller version ANB, it or they were closed right after the East-West
unification and its spent fuel had been taken to the Soviet Union.
I guess, if they were there, it was geographically and may be also
technologically convenient to use East German resources of uranium and
technologies, already well developed in the chase for A-bomb championship,
during World War #2. Seems, Germany gave so many good ideas but their usage
most of the times has been more than awkward; includes many tries to apply
Marx theory for the personal satisfaction of some notorious individuals.
You are right about an easy and possible uncontrollable Pu-239 production in
RBMKs but it has also ("GOOD") - peaceful features as well as nonpeaceful
("BAD") features. For example it makes very convenient the Radiation Material
Science research and
development; economically sufficient mass production of those new materials.

Peace.
Emil.
kerembaev@cs.com