Re: Russia: Iran May Seek More Reactors

At 08:52 18.01.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>At 12:03 PM 1/17/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>I suppose because the RMBK can be easily
>>used to produce weapons grade plutonium
>
>In what way is the RMBK specially suited for this purpose?

Because fuel rods can be removed from the single "channels" during
operation without having to shut the reactor down. Therefore it is easy to
have fuel rods irradiated for a relative short time, which is necessary to
produce weapons grade plutonium of high quality. Normal reactor plutonium
produced after long time in the reactor is little suitable or rather
unsuitable for bomb production. Can somebody confirm that it is a fairy
tale that plutonium from reactor fuel can be easily converted into bombs?

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna