Atlas tailings pile press release

RADSAFERS,
This is the press release that went out on Friday about the Moab pile Al T.
was talking about last week.

Richardson Announces Agreement For Moab Tailings Cleanup
                 and Historic Return of Land to Native Americans

         Major Environmental and Energy Initiative Aims to Protect and
      Enhance Two American Treasures - Arches and Canyonlands National Parks

      Energy Secretary Bill Richardson today announces an agreement for the
      largest voluntary return of land to Native Americans in the lower 48
      states in more than a century; for the cleanup and removal of 10.5
      million tons of radioactive mill tailings from the doorstep of two
      national treasures -- Arches National Park and Canyonlands National
      Park, near Moab, Utah.  The agreement also will provide for additional
      environmental protection for a 75-mile stretch of the Green River.
      Richardson made the announcement at Fort Duchesne on the Ute Indian
      Tribe reservation and in Moab.

      "Today, we're doing the right thing -- the right thing for the
      environment, the right thing for the Utes, and the right thing for the
      American people," Richardson said.

      The agreement was signed by Secretary Richardson, Interior Secretary
      Bruce Babbitt, Ute Tribal Business Committee Chairman O. Roland McCook
      Sr. and Utah Governor Michael Leavitt.

      "In 1882, the United States identified lands in eastern Utah that were
      to remain Tribal property for all time.  Regrettably, this promise,
      like so many given to the Tribe over the years, proved to be false,
      said McCook, Chairman of the Ute Tribe's governing body.  "As a result
      of the leadership of Secretary Richardson, however, a portion of the
      promise is now to be fulfilled.  The return of our traditional
      homelands is not only a great day for the Tribe and its membership,
      but also may well mark a new beginning for Indian Country as a whole."

      Gov. Leavitt added, "The people of Utah appreciate and applaud
      Secretary Richardson and the U.S. Department of Energy for taking this
      bold action to address two longtime issues in our state: the return of
      the Ute Tribe's land to Tribal ownership and control, and a plan to
      further address the environmental problems posed by the Atlas tailings
      in Moab."

      "This agreement in principle is a great first step," said Interior
      Secretary Bruce Babbitt.  "There are still, of course, many issues that
      have to be worked out, but we are moving forward in a very positive,
      productive way to restore this landscape.  This area is the historical
      home of the Ute people.  It is a gateway to two magnificent national
      parks, Arches and Canyonlands.  It deserves our best restoration
      efforts."

      Under the agreement, the Department of Energy's Naval Oil Shale
      Reserve No. 2, an undeveloped tract of land in the northeastern corner
      of the state, would be returned to the Ute Tribe.  The land, which is
      rich in oil shale deposits, was taken from the Ute reservation in 1916
      for use as a potential source of fuel for the Navy's oil-burning
      ships.

      The Ute Tribe has agreed to establish a 1/4-mile land corridor for a
      75-mile stretch of the Green River that will be protected as
      environmentally sensitive.  The Green River, one of the nation's most
      scenic and famous rivers, winds across eastern Utah through miles of
      undeveloped backcountry and ancient canyons.  Additionally, a portion
      of any royalties from future energy production on the lands would go
      into a fund to help clean up the nation's fifth largest pile of uranium
      mill tailings located near Moab, Utah.

      The uranium mill tailings are the radioactive contaminated waste
      products from nearly three decades of uranium mining operations.  The
      waste sits in a 100-foot mound at the doorstep of two national parks,
      Arches and Canyonlands.  The tailings contain low levels of
      radioactivity from uranium, radium, as well as hazardous materials such
      as arsenic, lead, mercury and other chemicals and metals left by the
      processes used to separate the uranium from the ore.  Under the
      agreement reached today, the Department of Energy will seek funding and
      authority to remove the tailings and clean up the site.  The clean up
      would be regulated by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC),
      with participation by the state of Utah.

      "The time to act is now," Richardson said.  "Radioactive waste sits at
      the gateway of two national parks -- Arches and Canyonlands.  This area
      is a geological wonderland, nestled in a valley with scenic red cliffs
      and surrounded by rugged, beautiful desert terrain.  The Department of
      Energy has the expertise and experience to relocate the material in a
      secure, permanent location that is safely away from the Colorado River
      and the national parks."

      Estimated cost to move the tailings away from Moab is about $300
      million.  The uranium waste resulted from mill operations at the site
      from 1956 to 1984.  Denver-based Atlas Corp., which owned the site
      from 1962 through 1984, filed for bankruptcy two years ago.  The NRC,
      which had been working with the Atlas Corporation for more than a
      decade to select and implement a final cleanup plan, recently
      appointed a trustee to manage the work.

      "Today's agreement gives us the momentum we need for congressional
      action," Richardson explained.  From the agreement, the Clinton/Gore
      Administration will be seeking legislation to carry out the land
      transfer and the mill tailings cleanup.

                                    - DOE -