Re: Avoiding improper use of isotopes in the laboratory

> Based on the frequency of these events (almost never) and the
> potential for serious injury (almost none), why would you waste even
> a second's thought on the subject?

John is absolutely correct in his assessment. Considering frequency
and risk, no further actions need be taken, assuming that all
reasonable actions have been institutionalized through procedures and
training.

Regulations and procedures already exist to handle issues that arise
from licensee negligence and direct violation of governing procedures
and regulations. We can't regulate willful acts, that can not be
foreseen and where no contingency plans can be implemented. Hindsight
is always interesting, yet not actionable.

Expending large sums of $$ on man, methods or materials, where no
observable benefit (reasonable benefit considering the risks of
failure) can be defined, is a waste, and the net result can be
detrimental. All one needs to do is look at the US nuclear power
program today. In my opinion, all of the added redundancy over the
years, where not really necessary to mitigate a potential problem, is
one of the primary causes of the fiscal mis-management of the
industry. These regulatory driven costs have caused many to question
the economic feasibility of nuclear power. A reasonable and realistic
nuclear policy by governmental agencies is sorely needed.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle