Re: Avoiding improper use of isotopes in the laboratory

Sandy Perle wrote:

>  We can't regulate willful acts, that can not be
> foreseen and where no contingency plans can be implemented.

But the government regulates willful acts all the time.  How about murder, DUI, drugs,
bad language, sex, etc., etc., etc. ad nausiam.  Since we now have experience with
willful radioactive "poisoning" it clearly can happen and, therefore, can be foreseen.
If foreseen, contingency plans can be thought of and, perhaps, implemented.  Now I'm
really being the devil's advocate.

Truly, such incidents are non-events and, until many, many more happen, should not be a
concern.  We just had a 75 foot long stretch of cliff fall onto the beach at Encinitas
and kill a woman.  The cliffs fall periodically.  When they do, and especially if they
kill someone, there is a big hue and cry to do something to prevent any further
erosion.  However, nature will take its course and, unless millions are spent and the
"environment" is ruined, not much can be done.

Incidents that don't kill anyone are even more non-events.  Let's give this one up.

Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net
begin:vcard
n:Tschaeche;Al
x-mozilla-html:FALSE