Re: Improper Use of Radioactive Material & Security

Dear Radsafers:

Before most of us have children, when we see someone else's children
misbehave, we have a tendency to say, "My kids will never behave that way!!"
Then we get to eat those words when we do have children.  Another saying I
remember hearing is, "Don't judge me until you have walked a mile in my
shoes" (or something to that effect).

My point is that anyone who has not served in the capacity as an RSO at a
large research institution really doesn't have a thorough understanding of
the issues regarding the relative hazards in research laboratories,
security, intentional misuse, etc.  I already expressed my views in a
experience.  If you didn't see that post, the basic conclusion was that the
media, the regulators, and the public have made "mountains out of molehills"
on the security and intentional misuse of radioactive materials in research
institutions.  I received a number of private e-mails from other university
RSOs who echoed my sentiments.

If I were to comment on an issue that I have limited knowledge about, I
would preface the comment with words to that effect.  That helps the reader
of the comment decide if I really know what I'm talking about.  Sometimes
just including your title or type of health physics practice (e.g., RSO,
consultant, etc.) helps the rest of us know where you're coming from.

By the way, I've never set foot in a nuclear power plant (except on a tour),
but I think you reactor HPs should . . . - just kidding.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu