Re: Uranyl Nitrate Disposal

agreement states have wording similar to the California regulations and they
all accept the fact that some of the residues from usage end up in a
laboratories waste stream and is disposed without regard to the
radioactivity. I don't know of any state regulatory body which knowingly
allows the disposal of such materials in local landfills. I agree with
Hamrick that such materials could go to the local landfill and not represent
a radiation problem. Unfortunately, the nitrate provides the potential for
oxidation and EPA enters the picture. At that point logic goes out the window.

Similar problems occur with Uranyl Acetate when they are used in conjunction
with Lead Citrate or these compounds end up in D001 or F coded solvents.

The point of my comments was that the company with excess Uranium Nitrate has
to consider both his radiation control agency and the EPA when disposing of
the material and that only limited options were available.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391