Re: Uranyl Nitrate Disposal

This may not work for everybody. A few facts about U and Th Nitrate:
1. Washington State accepts NORM waste from all states (I believe).
2. EPA allows "treatment by generator" (prior approval is needed).
3. Oxidizing characteristic of the nitrate compound is deactivated if the
compound is solidified in concrete. EPA (our state EPA) had never denied our
treatment plan so far. After treatment, the dangerous waste is low level rad. or
NORM waste.
4. There may be other restriction in different states but this had been our way
of handling of U and Th nitrate. M. Jo
Myung Chul Jo, MS, CHP
EH&S, Mail Stop 328
University of Nevada, Reno