RE: Sm153 & radionuclidic impurities in radiopharmaceuticals

We were doing some work with Sm-153 here. I did some assays to determine the
Eu-154 contaminate levels. The sample was counted on a HPGe system. Here is
what I found:

Sm-153 activity was 0.505 uCi in 5 cc on 3/17/98. The sample was counted on
4/10/98 for two hours. The Eu-154 concentration was 1.274E-5 uCi/cc, Eu-152
was < MDA (9.5E-6 uCi/cc). MDA's for other isotopes ranged from 10E-6 to
10E-7 uCi/cc except at lower energies which were ~10E-5. Normal activity at
time of ship is 204 mCi of Sm-153.

We had a concern here for a buildup of long-lived by-product material and
disposal costs. I understand that this problem also killed some very
promising applications in bone cancer therapy.

There are standards for radionuclidic purity set by the US FDA. We have a
very large Quality Control group who are responsible for ensuring compliance
with all domestic and foreign drug regulations. I don't know the limits
off-hand but I do know we have rejected Tl-201 raw material from outside
vendors due to high Tl-202 levels.

Roger Moroney
Health Physicist
Mallinckrodt, Inc.