Re: C.A. Beard (LANL) letter on MOX for Chalk

RADSAFERS:

        Please help me to clarify my understanding of Carl Beard's letter below.

        (1)  The U.S. Government pays the Russian government cash (U.S. dollars) for its excess weapons grade plutonium.  (How much money did the U.S. Taxpayers pay to Russia in this transaction?)

        (2)  The U.S. DOE funds Los Alamos National Laboratory for develop a process for the incorporation of the Russian weapons grade Pu into mixed oxide fuel (MOX).  (How many U.S. taxpayer dollars did DOE pay LANL to accomplish this?)

        (3)  The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, at the time of this Russian weapons grade Pu non-proliferation effort, did not have an approved MOX fuel design for U.S. light-water power reactors; therefore, LANL's MOX design focused on making MOX fuel rods for Canadian CANDU reactors.

        (4)  Canada will be the ultimate benefactor of this Pu non-proliferation effort because Canada will get MOX fuel for free from the United States, be able to use it to produce electrical power for Canadians, and if Canadian reactors sometimes sell electrical power to the U.S. power grid, some American taxpaying electricity consumers will have the "opportunity" to pay additional dollars back to Canada for electrical power that was generated with "free" MOX that originally came from the United States!

        Doesn't it strike you that there is something wrong with the above picture?  It seems that the U.S. taxpayers are doing all the "paying" and the Canadians getting virtually all of the benefits at U.S. taxpayers expense!

        Weapons grade Pu (>93% Pu-239) that both the United States and Russia have, cost the taxpayers of both countries many dollars and rubles to originally produce.  Weapons-grade Pu is rather analogous to the gold bars setting in Ft. Knox or in Swiss bank vaults--those gold bars took much sweat and taxpayer dollars to mine, refine, and safeguard in a safe repository.  But rather than treat weapons grade Pu as a similar national "treasure"/resource by placing this material in a safe, secure repository, the U.S. government has only the idea of either burying the stuff or diluting it into MOX fuel where after burn-up, the Pu-239 will at best be in the form of only "reactor-grade" Pu.  I am, therefore, NOT one of those "many people in the United States" who, as Beard alleges, favor declaring a national treasure to be "waste" worthy only of a pauper's burial.

        I realize that there is a major difference between Au and Pu--Au does not sustain a nuclear chain reaction nor does it go critical or supercritical, etc.  But weapons grade Pu, in the form of a mere "pit," does not, by itself, make a mushroom.  Even a "pit" must be married up with very sophisticated, highly safeguarded and controlled technology to be a "weapon" capable of making a mushroom.

        Please clarify my understanding if you think anything I have said above is unfair or irrational.

        Best regards  David

FYI,

DAVID W. LEE
Los Alamos National Laboratory