Re: DoT Packaging

Date:          Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:23:33 -0600 (CST)
From:          Tad Blanchard <Tad.M.Blanchard.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       DoT Packaging

As I understand DOT regulations, packagings are designed for "normal
conditions during transport" and NOT accident situations.

>This brings up another question.  We have all kinds of requirements for

>packaging for transport of radioactive materials viv-a-vis fires.  Do we

>have the same requirements for density gauges where the gauge is the

>packaging for transport.  I remember seeing radiography sources in their

>shields sitting in the back of a pickup truck driving down the road.  Are

>those devices subject to DOT and NRC packaging requirements?  Who knows and

>will tell?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

Type A packages are required to be designed and tested to meet rigors
of normal transport.  Testing can be performed and document\ed by the
shipper or an agent for him/her.  Documentation of successful testing
must be maintained for, I believe, 2 years after the last use of the
package by that shipper.

Type B packages which are certified by the USNRC, on the other hand,
must be designed and tested to meet specific accident conditions.
All testing criteria are spelled out in the DOT regs and for Type B
packages also 10CFR71.

A new Type C package has been proposed by IAEA, and in the interest
of harmonization, will also probably be adopted by the USDOT.  It is
for air transport of certain large quantities of radioactive
materials.  Needless to say, it also has some very specific design
and testing criteria.

    Charles R. (Russ) Meyer
 Email:charles.meyer@tdh.state.tx.us
     Phone:(512)834-6688