From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
[mailto:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]On Behalf Of DSnowder@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 8:32 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Nucleodensity tool

Tim,

Are you referring to a Nuclear Density gauge?  If so, it uses two sources
consisting of  a Cs-137 and an Am-Be 241 source . The Cs-137 source is used
in conjunction with an internally mounted  G-M detector to measure the
density of soil, concrete, asphalt, food products, lumber, etc. The Am-Be
241
source is a neutron emitter and in conjunction with a H3 shielded G-M
detector is used to measure the moisture content of numerous matls. The G-M
detectors measure direct transmission and backscatter from the radiation
emitted through the material being measured and use calibration coefficients
to calculate density and moisture content.

For more info. on Nuclear density gauges you can contact our company which
calibrates & services nuclear gauges, and trains personnel on the use and
radiation safety associated with this equipment. Additionally, NUREG 1556
contains much information on Nuclear Gauge safety and use requirements.

Dale Snowder
Alpha-Idaho LLC
(2080 523-5557